MasterChef Champion and TV baking duo complete the festival's chef line up
11 July 2016
This year’s Woking Food and Drink Festival is set to be a star-studded event following the latest celebrity chef announcements. Topping the bill in the Tante Marie Culinary Theatre on Saturday 3 September will be Jane Devonshire, MasterChef Champion 2016, and Tom and Henry Herbert, aka ‘The Baker Brothers’.
In May this year, after seven weeks of intense challenges and an extraordinary final cook-off, Jane was crowned the MasterChef Champion and became the twelfth amateur cook to lift the coveted trophy. It was Jane’s determination, drive, love for food and courage to push beyond her culinary boundaries, which made her stand out from the crowd and gained the MasterChef judge’s (John Torode and Gregg Wallace) winning votes.
Speaking about her appearance at this year’s Woking Food and Drink Festival, Hampshire based Jane said: "One of the great things about winning MasterChef has been the opportunity to present at events like these, sharing my love of food and getting to answer questions and talk to people. I’m really enjoying the whole experience!”
Aka ‘The Baker Brothers’, Tom and Henry Herbert, are set to share some of their family’s baking top tips with the crowds and take part in a cookbook signing session in Peacocks Shopping Centre on Saturday 3 September.
The brothers are best known for fronting TV series on Channel 4 and More4, which brought together the ultimate baking and meat combinations. Tom is a fifth generation baker and Henry is a chef and butcher; both are directors of the family business in Gloucestershire, Hobbs House Bakery.
When talking about the festival, Tom Herbert, said: “Henry and I love taking part at food festivals. It’s always great demonstrating in a live environment, sharing our top tips and family stories, and also having fun with each other and the crowd.
“Most of all, it’s great to meet people. From the local independent traders to the other demonstration chefs to the visitors, who all share a passion for good food.”
Jane’s, Tom’s and Henry’s appearances completes the festival’s three-day demonstration schedule which feature alongside Nadiya Hussain, Great British Bake Off Winner 2015, and a stellar line up of local chefs and restaurant owners. The Theatre’s full line up will feature:
- Nadiya Hussain – Great British Bake Off Winner 2015, columnist, author and TV presenter.
- Jane Devonshire – MasterChef Champion 2016.
- Tom and Henry Herbert – TV chefs (aka 'The Baker Brothers'), authors and directors of Hobbs House Bakery.
- Al Crisci MBE – Chef and founder of The Clink Restaurant and Director of Clink Events.
- Georgina Hayden – Food developer for Jamie Oliver, food stylist, author and cook.
- Steve Drake – Head Chef and owner of Drakes, a Michelin Star rated restaurant, based in Ripley, and former Roux Scholarship winner.
- Fernando Stovell – Head Chef and owner of Stovell’s restaurant based in Chobham, and guest chef on BBC One's Saturday Kitchen.
- Ben Piette – Head Chef and owner of London House restaurant based in West Byfleet.
- Valentino Gentile – Executive Chef at The Restaurant at Tante Marie.
- Aneke Spacie – Executive Chef and owner of Waters Edge Cafe based in Horsell.
- Thierry de Magneval – Chief Sommelier and owner of Cellar Magneval based in Woking and Fleet.
- Stephanie Moon – Chef and former contestant on BBC Two's Great British Menu.
- Tante Marie Culinary Academy instructors – Academy Principal, Claire Alexander-Brown, and Senior Academy Instructors, Ally Molyneaux and Al Brady.
Cllr John Kingsbury, Leader of Woking Borough Council, said: “This year’s festival programme is exceptional. We are delighted and lucky to host such an impressive line up of well-known culinary experts in the Tante Culinary Academy Theatre, who are set to deliver another diverse menu of free demonstrations across the three days.
“Following a Surrey-wide public vote, I’m also pleased to announce that Woking Food and Drink Festival has been shortlisted for the Best Local Food Event category in the Surrey Life Food and Drink Awards. Last year, the festival won the award category and it’s great recognition to be shortlisted for the second year running."
The award-winning, free to attend Woking Food and Drink Festival will return to the town centre for the fourth year from Friday 2 and Sunday 4 September 2016. Once again, the festival promises to be another weekend bursting with flavour and spice, which will host a three-day menu of culinary delights, including:
- live culinary demonstrations in the Tante Marie Culinary Academy Theatre
- over 80 local and regional food and drink exhibitors
- interactive cookery activities at Tante Marie Culinary Academy
- BBQ demonstrations and cook-alongs
- children’s cookery workshops
- English wine masterclasses and tastings
- Bake Off competition (Sunday 4 September)
- celebrity booking signings
- live music and much more!
This year’s festival is delivered in partnership with Woking Shopping and sponsored by Tante Marie Culinary Academy and the Woking Advertiser.